How to adapt to British Culture – from eHOW

| 23/05/2012 | 17 Comments

One of the most popular article is the Stereotypes about British Culture – how true they are?. One can argue they are true or not experiences decide. I found an interesting article about British stereotypes from an American point of view. For example “be prepared for smaller places” etc. The article written by eHOW.

Just like the United States, Britain is divided into different regions and areas. Britain is one of the most diverse nations in Europe with over 250 different languages being spoken in London alone. With such a varied culture, adapting to it can be a challenge for anyone. Following these steps should help you on your way.

Forget the stereotypes. Many of the long established stereotypes simply are not relevant in Britain today. Don’t assume that everyone is going to fall into the category of a beer swilling, bad-toothed tea addict. Abandoning pre-conceived ideas of people and culture will allow you to be more open-minded and readily able to assimilate the culture you find yourself in.

• Understand the differences. Britain is comprised of different countries (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales) and numerous different regions that all have their very own and very different traditions, dialect and even language. Understanding that culture in a highland village will not be the same as a southern English spa town will help you to avoid making mistakes and generalizations.

• Get used to small spaces. The US is not only a huge country but we are used to bigger cars, houses and spaces. Like all European nations, Britain does not have the luxury of space. Houses, apartments, cars and appliances are all smaller than you are accustomed to, so become familiar with smaller areas.

• Be polite. Adapt by blending into the crowd. Always apologize for bumping into someone (even if it was their fault). Respect people’s personal space and always wait in line. Bill Brysons’ book “Notes from a small island” (see resources) is filled with tips and humorous observations.

• Go to the pub. The pub is a very important part of British culture and nothing will immerse you more than a pint of beer. Students, work colleagues, friends and family all meet in the pub and it is used as a focal point of social contact.

• Accept the jokes. One of the most confusing aspects of British culture is humor. Bantering, ribbing, or “taking the mick” are all ways to describe making fun of someone but this isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Teasing someone is a common way to show affection. As one Brit put it, “you never make fun of someone you don’t like.”

Tips & Warnings

• In a pub, pay for drinks as you buy them, not when you leave.
  • Don’t be surprised at ‘affectionate names’ such as “mate,” “duck” or “flower.”
  • Avoid being overly familiar with regional dialect and slang, people may find it annoying or even offensive.

Original Article:  How to Adapt to British Culture | eHow.com

www.GlobalTestMarket.com

Tags: , ,

Category: Articles

Comments (17)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. I admire what you have done here.

2. I like this post,And I guess that they having fun to read this post,

3. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I’m pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include.

4. vpn 中国 says:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this,like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but other than that, this is great blog. this

5. satta matka says:

It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though

6. wallens says:

It is basic that we read blog entry deliberately. I am as of now done it and find this post is truly stunning. Entretien ménager Montréal Laval Brossard

7. wallens says:

Fascinating theme for an online journal. I have been scanning the Internet for the sake of entertainment and happened upon your site. Impressive post. Much appreciated a ton for sharing your insight! It is extraordinary to see that a few individuals still invest an exertion into dealing with their sites. I’ll make sure to return again genuine soon. bathroom installations bexleyheath

8. wallens says:

A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing this helpful information.. adderin

9. vitamin b17 says:

Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles.

10. wallens says:

Positive site, where did u think of the data on this posting? I’m satisfied I found it however, sick be inquiring soon to discover what extra posts you incorporate. geniux

11. I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards,

12. wallens says:

Its an extraordinary joy perusing your post.Its brimming with data I am searching for and I want to post a remark that “The substance of your post is marvelous” Great work. spartagen xt

13. wallens says:

Extraordinary Information sharing .. I am exceptionally cheerful to peruse this article .. a debt of gratitude is in order for giving us experience info.Fantastic pleasant. I welcome this post. https://www.masnopago.es

14. wallens says:

I haven’t any word to welcome this post…..Really i am inspired from this post….the individual who make this post it was an incredible human..thanks for imparted this to us. waterdamagelos-angeles.com

15. Your articles don’t displace In regards to the bushes correct t towards part.More Bonuses

16. wallens says:

Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. spartagenxtforsale.com which testosterone booster works best

17. wallens says:

I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming! https://twitter.com/iherb___coupon